Bucket List Post WLS

Liz J.
on 12/2/18 9:50 am, edited 12/3/18 2:33 pm
DS on 11/29/16

I looked and didn't see a thread on bucket lists, so I thought I'd start one.

I have a list of thing I wanted to do once I was at/or close to goal weight. I never thought I?d get under goal weight but here I am!

Recently I pulled out my bucket list and with the help and support of my husband I've been knocking things off my list:

1) Go to Six Flags and ride on all the roller coasters! (Had so much fun we bought passes!)

2) Buy bikes and take up riding. (Started in September and we've been having a blast since!)

3) Horseback riding, waiting for better weather but I bought my boots and I?m ready! (I owned horses growing up and plan on riding a lot!)

4) Rollerskating! Went last night for the first in 30 years! My husband didn't skate but he went and watched! I surprised both of us with how much my body remembered! Did crossovers in the turn, skated backwards, and even had a small fall! Thinking seriously of doing it a lot more!

5) Do a 5k! My friend and I competed in the Color Run which is a great 1st 5K! So much fun!

6) Do one new activity every month, just for fun and to see if we like it! Our list includes: golf, bowling, trial hiking, skiing, sledding, maybe ice skating, and rock climbing! Woot!

What's on your list?

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

(deactivated member)
on 12/2/18 4:21 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

You know, I don't have a bucket list. So, why not make one now? Would be goals I could work towards for this upcoming year!

1. Buy a bike (also learn to ride a bike). I have wanted to go riding all year, but haven't made the leap to get a bike. I'm not interested in heavy mountain biking, or trail biking, just something I can cruise around my neighborhood on and enjoy.
  2. This is a new interest since I used to really not care for horses, but both your comment and the fact that I have access to horses makes me want to try horseback riding at least once and see how I like it.
  3. Be part of a 5k, or even just a long walk/run-a-thon.
  4. Go on a real vacation somewhere.
  5. Swim in the ocean

Thank you for this thread, I like listening these goals out! I hope to accomplish a few of them, especially swimming in the ocean.

GirlSquadOfOne
on 12/3/18 6:36 am
VSG on 09/11/18

Hmm good thread

1. Buy a vintage bike and go bike riding
  2. Wear a 2 piece bathing suit again
  3. Do a 5k foam run or the mud run
  4. Learn to ballroom dance
Gwen M.
on 12/3/18 6:45 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've never been a bucket list sort of person and I've found there are so many things I never even wanted to do before weight loss that I want to do now. (I'm not trying to harsh on anyone who does have a bucket list, because YOU DO YOU. It's just not the way I do me!)

That said.. if I'd had a bucket list with things I hadn't yet dared to dream, it might have looked something like this:

1: become a runner!
2: go back to college!
3: learn to love pilates and yoga
4: get a degree in exercise, lol what?
5: learn to care about myself
6: prioritize ALL aspects of my health (mental, physical, etc.)
7: complete coursework to be a personal trainer
8: find my "calling" in life
9: complete training to be an end of life (i.e. "death") doula
10: run a half marathon, then do it again!

These days my big goals in life are to:

1: move in 2020 - this one just seems so overwhelming with the home improvements that need to be made before we can sell our home and then the whole finding a new place to live and buying a house and moving all the **** and all the money all of those things will take
2: finish my BS degree
3: figure out how the hell to do crow pose in yoga :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Kristi T.
on 12/3/18 10:01 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I love everyone's bucket list! Like Mersh, I never really made an official Bucket List, I had things I wanted to do but never a real list.

1. Zip Line through the old strip in Las Vegas. I saw Joan Rivers do this on T.V. once and thought "if she can do it at her age, I can do it at mine."

2. Hike The Appalachian Trail with my dog.

3. Learn to go tent camping and build a campfire.

4. Take up horseback riding lessons.

5. Take a trip outside of the United States at least once before I die:-) Would love to go to London.

It's a short list, but it's a start.

Candrews1
on 12/3/18 2:06 pm - Jackson, TN
RNY on 04/17/15

B.L.

1. Compete in a Triathlon
  2. Complete a marathon in 4:30
  3. Take a Cruise to Alaska
  4. Learn to Skydive
  5. Run an Ultra Marathon

Height=5"4' Age=49 RNY=04/17/2015

HW=285, CW=205, LW=197, GW=195

My exercise motto-Further or faster!!!

SweetRide1
on 12/3/18 5:32 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I love this thread!

1. Learn to horseback ride. I've always wanted to do it but was afraid that I'd hurt the poor horse with my weight. LOL

2. Start figure skating again. Skated all my life until I couldn't. Now I can.

3. Buy a bike and join a racing club.

4. Turn this whole experience into a way to give back whether, mentoring, or Life Coaching people going through the WLS process.

5. Put myself first. My physical health and my mental health. I want to look after me.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Doyenne
on 12/4/18 3:23 am

Not a bucket list per se, but things I haven't dared to do while heavy:

horseback riding

try to do a marathon

hike up one of the big mountains, Fiji or Kilimanjaro

vist Moscow and Petersburg, as never have been

go surfing and kitesurfing

wear a formal slinky form fitting beaded full length gown to the opera

go skiing when I can actually get up if I fall

play tennis to some level of competency with my family

hike the Adirondack trail

And have many other adventures!

Surgery date May 4, 2017

HW 290. Start weight 229. Day of Surgery 209. Month 2: 190. Month 3: 182. Month 4: 174. Month 5: 164. Month 6: 159. Month 7: 153. Month 8: 147. Month 9: 145. Month 10: 142. Month 11: 138 Month 12: 137. Month 13: 139 Month 14: 131. Month 15: 130. Month 16: 131. Month 17: 128. 162 pounds lost!!

Two year anniversary upon me in 3 days: 136. Need to lose a few pounds..

NYMom222
on 12/4/18 8:55 am
RNY on 07/23/14

My original bucket list looked something like:

Fit in one airplane seat and not have to buy 2 tickets.
walk without getting winded
Walk up the stairs in my house anytime of day
Fit into a booth at a diner without the table cutting into my gut.

I couldn't have what was considered a bucket list because I had no clue and couldn't really visualize being a normal weight.

Things I have done that I didn't realize I wanted to do or that I missed:

Travel to Hawaii and Paris - hadn't taken an adult vacation in 30 years

Join the gym- love weight training. I had vowed against ever joining a gym again.

Hiking. No idea I loved it.

Yoga- for stretch and relaxation.

NSV that never gets old- running up the stairs of my house any time of day- not just going up and down once a day.

Still working on:

Doing a chin up
Running a mile
Better balance
Living in Paris for at least a month

Never-ending:

Getting stronger and healthier- Body, Mind and Spirit.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 12/5/18 3:56 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Love this, so much! Good on you for doing new things -- and including things that are active!

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Most Active