advice for starting out slow

cinaflower
on 7/31/11 11:24 am - LA
I had my sleeve done last Thursday and am doing fine (applause!!!) and I really want to be proactive in getting enough exercise and doing the right things so I won't be flabby and to help increase muscle mass. I can't lift weights- would yoga be enough? Would just doing some floor exercises work? I think I could walk on my treadmill slow for little bits of time now. My stomach is still really sore though. What have you done that worked?
Cinamon    
acbbrown
on 7/31/11 11:44 am - Granada Hills, CA
Rest rest rest!!!!

I tried "walking" a few times the first 3 weeks after surgery, and I couldn't do it. I was too weak and in too much pain. I over did it, and hurt myself (pulled a stitch inside maybe?) and was in excrutiating pain for 2 weeks. By 3-4 weeks, I was able to walk for 20-30 min on the treadmill at a very slow pace. By 5 weeks, I was back to my brisk walks and wasn't cleared for weights until 6 weeks out.

It's great to be proactive but learn from me, and just worry about your walk/sip routines for now, and worry about the exercise component once your body is healed. The more you rest now, the more likely you'll prevent any complications from getting started when its time.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

cinaflower
on 7/31/11 3:21 pm - LA
Hey you don't have to tell me twice to chill out and relax!!! I'm really good at that. I just started thinking about losing all this weight so fast and being a big saggy mess- but I can be patient! I'm sure it will take all I have to just keep the household out of chaos!
Cinamon    
acbbrown
on 8/1/11 1:31 am - Granada Hills, CA
Losing A LOT of weight = big saggy mess. Even if it's done slowly. I'm only 115 lbs lighter, with a lot to go, and I'm all saggy already. And I exercised very regularly during the last year when I lost all my weight. Cardio and weights - I mean, I have lots of muscles in my arms and legs, but there's plenty of loose skin.

You should focus on exercise for the health benefits and not really just to prevent loose skin because you might be disappointed. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Kim S.
on 7/31/11 11:51 pm - Helena, AL
Just light walking for now, and don't progress until your doctor gives you the all clear.  What is your experience level when it comes to exercise/fitness?

If you don't have a clue where to start, first try lots of different activities to find out what you like.  You must like what you do or you will not do it. 

Sounds like you know about yoga.  Yoga is a great workout for the mind and body.  It is one of the best ways to build your core--which really is the "core" of what helps you develop everything else.

Walking/running are good for cardio.

Kim

cinaflower
on 8/1/11 3:37 am - LA
I will take it really slow, I promise! I was just so bored and thinking if there was something I could do to tone my arms or something that was easy while I'm losing - but I get all you say. I know I'm going to be saggy- but when I look at the before pictures most people look really good- in clothes- I know my belly will be a mess- that's fine I'll just tuck it into some spanx and get moving! haha I see lots of ladies with nice legs, nice toned chest-neck and arms and their abs are generally flat- that looks plenty good enough to me.
I do know what to do- I've just not had a lot of success doing it consistently because I have fibromyalgia and other health issues that will put a kink in things- but hopefully the loss of weight will enable me to have more energy and physically feel better so I can keep going!
Cinamon    
Michelle E.
on 8/1/11 2:02 pm
Walking is great!  You can put a water bottle in each hand and do some bicep curls and tricep extensions while sitting down.. but heavy lifting is a big no no.. You can sit in a chair and do leg extensions.. These are exercises we did my Physical Therapy class 1 day post op.. Good Luck
Most Active