The power of a friend/accountability

KatCooper
on 6/23/12 12:20 pm - Collierville, TN
 It has been a crazy week for me.  I have been working nights and we are moving from an apartment to a house.  I had signed up for a 10K this weekend and was supposed to run it with a friend.  I hadnt run last much last week and I got an email asking if we were still on for the weekend.  Grrrr....guess I need to put in a longer run this week. So I put in 4 miles and figured I at least wouldnt die IF I ran on Saturday.   I was just so tired I really didnt want to go, PLUS I have never run with anyone before.  My friend is a regular runner and started running 1/2's last year.  She runs a 10min pace and in the heat I am a solid 13min.  ( I have moments of blazing speed in the 11's but only in a 5K)  So I was really stressed about her having to run so slow.  She call me last night at asked if I wanted to PR or just finish and have fun.  I opted for #2 because of the heat.  It was 83 at the start of the race.   I was up late unpacking and was going to have to get up at 530 to get ready and drive the hour to the race so I was really wanting to bail BIG TIME.  I woke up and was just sure I had a headache.  LOL, well it felt like I might get one.  :-)   I checked my phone and sure enough she sent me a text about 15 minutes before I got up telling me how ready she was to run with me. Crap, looks like I had to go.   I got there and it was already so hot and sunny, but  I was ready.  
AND..............I had an absolutely wonderful time.  We talked the entire time, and I am fairly sure we solved most of the world's pressing problems.  She kept me rolling but walked with me when my HR got above my comfort zone.  We ran through this beautiful neighborhood with rolling hills ( I really do NOT like hills) and saw 3 beautiful deer right in the middle of the race.   I learned it was OK to walk the hills if I needed.   Best of all, I was 3 minutes faster than my last 10K which was much, much flatter and 60 degrees at the start.   I am so very glad that I went, but I wound not have made it with out the nudges from Renae.   So, you never know when your ask someone, "Did you run today?"  You really may be giving them the nudge they need to get out there and do it.   
And by the way, did I mention I ran 6.2 miles today and smiled the entire way????????
Hope you weekend is a good one, and btw, did you run/bike/swim/exercise today???

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

acbbrown
on 6/23/12 2:12 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 You totally continue to amaze me :)  Congrats on going, finishing and doing fantastic!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

KittenLove
on 6/24/12 2:25 am - Around Knoxville, TN
What an awesome post!!!

Are you doing the Women's half or 5k in Nashville in September?

Be happy. 

KatCooper
on 6/24/12 2:53 am - Collierville, TN

The Women's half.  I am training for it now, and I hope it wont kill me. :-)    I also signed up for the St. Jude half in December.  (again, assuming the Nashville one doesnt kill me)

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

KittenLove
on 6/24/12 3:40 am - Around Knoxville, TN
U will do great I just know it!

This will my third year for this one and it's my half PR last year - I'm hoping for another this year!! At least they took out the bridge for this years course!!!

Be happy. 

mcarthur01
on 6/24/12 7:44 am - Cumming, GA
this is really great!  congrats on the PR, the ones that sneak up on you are somehow even sweeter.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

hrford
on 6/24/12 10:46 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
 That is so awesome.  It is amazing how much better we do when our minds aren't on the fact that we're running!  I did 5 miles with a friend around Dc and beat my highest min/mile by over 30 sec. with her and didn't even feel like I was going to die.  I'm so glad you had fun!  

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Sue M.
on 6/25/12 3:02 am - Nantucket, MA
 Great post!

Running is always great when the race is finished!  Glad you pushed through!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Most Active