Long road back when you lose it! - fitness that is

Scott William
on 6/23/12 1:18 am
This hasn't been the best year for me.  Actually, going back a year has been pretty tough for me exercise wise starting with a case of gout in my left big toe which hampered my training for the Mt. Washington Road Race.  The race its self kicked my ass a bit and my job transfered me which was tough because I really don't like change and am pretty introverted. 

My weight went up about 15 lbs after holding steady for 5 years or so and boy what  that did to my race times I wouldn't have believed.  15 pounds equals about 4 minutes in a 5K.  It also kind of hurts the motivation to get out and train because it sucks being slow and out of shape.

A month ago, I went to D.C. for a week and did a few maintenance runs which were awesome.  The day I was supposed to go back to work I got a kidney stone which kicked my butt for three weeks.  One week in a narcotic daze.  One week dealing with pain and surgery to remove it and implant a stent in the uritor.  There were other issues related with it but I'll save the details.  The stent came out this week.  Like I said the whole ordeal was 3 weeks and I'm just feeling normal now.

Anyway, I went on two runs Wed and Fri.  Both were horrible.  A half mile in I was panting and my heart wanted to jump out of my chest.  I did a little jog/walk after that and finished the runs.

Mt. Washington was this past weekend and I find myself wishing I was there enduring the torture. I am hoping that this time off (and losing 10 of the 15 lbs) will get me back into the zone.

Today there is a one mile race locally which I normally love.  I am going to do it just to make myself and maybe I'll close my eyes at the finish to avoid seeing the time.  

Thanks for listening to my dribble.  I don't usually post this crap but I guess I just want some acountability and putting it out there helps.

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Scott William
on 6/23/12 5:53 am
Quick FYI - I ran the mile race just under 9 minutes. I walked twice and just plain stopped once and put my hands on my knees. I just couldn't get in enough oxygen. Three hours later, I still have the cold cough but I'm looking forward to the next. Redemption will be mine!!!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Jillian O.
on 6/23/12 9:42 am - Fort Riley, KS
Welcome back! Miss seeing you around here. Sorry to hear about your health issues, but it looks like you are on the road to recovery. Give it time you will be back to where you were

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

KatCooper
on 6/23/12 12:02 pm - Collierville, TN
 Kidney stones and stents are a *****  So sorry you had to go through it!!  Glad to see you back and getting back on track!  I WISH I could do a mile in 9 minutes.  In my book you are still a SuperHero!!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Kim S.
on 6/25/12 1:45 am - Helena, AL
Scott, you are one of my heroes!

You are doing the right thing.  Fitness is not just about times and personal records........it should be about doing what you love and enjoying the process too.  Who cares if you walk the whole race?  Who cares what your time is?  Remember to be thankful that you are now in a body that CAN do these things. 

Do it for those that can't.  Do it because it is fun.  Most importantly do it. 

I'm very happy to hear that with all you've overcome (which, by the way, is A LOT) that you are making time to get your fitness in and you are losing the lbs you found.  THAT is truly the picture of success.

Good to see ya back! 

Most Active