motivation??

busy_blond
on 9/2/12 7:49 pm - Tyler, TX
ok, so how do you guys get motivated to exercise? I thought I would feel motivated to exercise when I lost weight. But, I just can't seem to get off my butt and get started. I bought a gym membership and went 2 times. Anyone have any wonderful tips?
Leann

acbbrown
on 9/2/12 9:46 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Honestly, to get started, you really  just have to do it - like any of the other hard work you have to put into your WLS. It's hard to go from a sedentary life to pushing yourself - mentally and physically.

But, once you get into a routine, and you start making progress, your fitness starts improving, you start feeling better and want to keep going -especially if you are tracking your progress and setting goals. In my experience, exercise is just something you have to start - no excuses, and just get into the habit, and eventually you'll start to look forward to it. It does take some time to get there, and it's important to find an activity you enjoy and something you can sustain over a long period of time. Exercise does not have to be in a gym - we all dont have to be runners, cyclists, swimmers, etc. There are endless other possibilities as long as you are moving, getting your heart rate up, etc. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

DANCBJAMMIN
on 9/4/12 7:19 am - Fort Worth, TX
You will either find ways to make it happen or find excuses why you didnt. You have to force yourself to do it. After 21 days of any repeated pattern, it becomes a habit...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

CatahoulaLover
on 9/4/12 8:28 am - Kent, WA
VSG on 07/20/12
I hate exercise. HATE it. I'm not motivated to do it and I don't wanna! BUT, I have to, so I do. But the best way to keep myself going is I got a work out buddy to walk and swim with. It really holds me accountable and I will push myself further. Like walking, if I just go for a walk with the dog I will turn back sooner than I should because I don't want to really be there. But when I'm walking with my walking buddy then I push myself to see if I can make it one more 1/4 mile.  The difference is that if I walk alone I will probably only walk a mile but with my buddy I walked 5.4 miles.

It's also harder to cancel and say I'm too tired if I know I have to meet someone to walk or swim with. If you have a gym membership try posting on their board for a workout buddy.

08/20/12: -40  09/20/12: -21 10/20/12: -13 11/20/12: -5  12/20/12: -13 01/20/13: -10  02/20/13:-8 03/20/13: ?

Kim S.
on 9/6/12 6:22 am - Helena, AL
I was never an exerciser...well, at least not long term.  I've now done it faithfully for over 4 years.

The key, for me, was finding things I liked-then I looked forward to it. Oh, and buying cute workout clothes helped too!  I was so happy to have those cute matchy outfits that "real" athletes wear! 

I NEVER thought I'd be a runner....but I bought a treadmill (a good long deck running one) and first began walking on it while watching TV.  Then I walked faster....then one day, I tried running.  I was hooked.  Then, I decided to take my running outdoors...then I was REALLY hooked.  I love to put on my iPod and get my jam on while I run.

I also fell in love with hiking.  In the Fall and Winter I do this a lot.  P90X was my next fix.  I bought it on a dare and decided I COULD DO IT.  It took me a long time, but now I can do all the workouts, and I even bought P90X+ and P90X2.  I credit P90X with the amazing muscle definition I now have.

After I got hooked on exercising it became a high to challenge myself to see what this old body could do.  I am still amazed at what this 47 year old arthritic woman can accomplish!

To begin, try everything.  Take some classes.........ALL OF THEM.  You might like yoga, or Cross Fit or Boot Camp, or Spin class, boxing....you will not know until you try.  (I reluctantly tried a boxing class and LOVED it).

Motivation is internal....you must identify you inspiration to get your motivation going.

Best to you, now get off you hiney, lace up those shoes and get moving!

Most Active