Miscarried - D&C tomorrow

kalamtykel
on 5/5/11 10:50 am
Ive only been on the boards a couple times since i found out i was pregnant.  So i never really got a chance to get to know anyone here.  I was 10 weeks pregnant and went for a routine prenatal OB visit yesterday.  When the doc did the U/S there was no heartbeat any longer.  I'm going for a D&C tomorrow.  Although, i know i'm lucky that it happened now and not after i could feel the baby moving around further along in the pregnancy.  But i dont feel lucky.  Frankly, i'm devastated.  I've never had a D&C so i really have no idea of what to expect.  I've started cramping yesterday afternoon but havent started bleeding yet.  I'm a nervous wreck.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom or advice for me?

PrettyPixieGirl
on 5/5/11 10:59 am
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. No matter if you could have felt your baby or not it must be so hard. I have never had a D/C so I don't have any info to help with that. But I did want to say rest and take care of yourself. When/if you are ready to try again remember we are here.

HW:260+ SW: 248 Pre-Preg 180 Post-Preg Starting Wt: 225 Current PP wt: 195 GW: 170ish. 

kalamtykel
on 5/5/11 11:01 am
Thank you for the kind words.  I will definetly be back when the time comes. 
chelle614
on 5/5/11 11:11 am - Chester, NY
I am so sorry for your loss. I had a miscarriage as well, right after I found out it had stopped growing 10 days before. Things took care of themself naturally but it was traumatic.
Make sure you are gentle with yourself for a while. Take all your vites and extra iron so you don't become anemic. When things like this happen it's easy to turn to food or alcohol for comfort but they really don't help anything (been there done that).
The Bump has a miscarriage/pregnancy loss board that is very helpful. You will probably find a lot of info about D&C's there. Don't give up hope and reach out for support if you need it. There are many women here as well who have had a loss.
(((hugs)))

M/C 10/18/10  9w2d...forever loved

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                      It's a boy!

Kerri B.
on 5/5/11 11:28 am
So sorry to hear of your loss! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. And praying God will bless you with a sticky bean very very soon!
MusicMaryn
on 5/5/11 11:35 am - San Jose, CA

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I too had a MC... back in Dec at 7wks.  I didn't need to have a D&C this time as it passed naturally.  However I have had a D&C in the past.  You will probably experience some significant cramping during/after the procedure.  Make sure someone else takes you to that appointment.  This is an emotionally trying time and if you do experience significan cramping, you might be weak for a bit after the procedure.  I was extermely weak after my D&C.

One thing to remember about this MC... there is nothing that you did or did not do to cause this.  I actually met with a fertility doc today about getting help TTC and I asked her about MC and what if anything they can do to help prevent it.  There is absolutely nothing that anyone can do to prevent a MC.  The fertility doctor said that miscarriages happen because the fertilized egg was chomosonally imbalanced and would never survive as a human embryo/fetus.

One thing that my wife said to me the day that we officially found out that i had the MC was so impactful and helped me move through it emotionally.  I share it with you in the hopes that it can help you through this process as well.  She said, "Honey, if you were pregnant with our child, then you would still be carrying our child.  That was not our child."  So I say to you that your child is still making its way into your life.

I pray for your physical and emotional healing through this process.  Many blessings to you and your family.

Our little miracle baby boy is on his way!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

nightof
on 5/5/11 12:51 pm
I cried reading this...I had a miscarriage dec 09 at about 7 weeks and it passed naturally. your wife has the right words.
Lianne C.
on 5/5/11 1:06 pm - Garden City, MI
I am so sorry you are going through this

as for the D&C, I had one 2 weeks after my son was born because there was some placenta tissue left in my uterus that was causing me abnormal bleeding. The Anesthesiologist gave me a spinal Which was a bit uncomfortable and the little stinging of the numbing agent but I did not feel anything but a little pressure during the procedure. After they gave Percocet for the pain/ cramping and I was told to take it easy for a couple days and no intercourse for 2 weeks (4 for me though). It is considered a surgery even though there is no cutting, so I was scared but after I having done, it was nothing major to worry about.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
harleymama31
on 5/5/11 2:10 pm
I am so sorry for your loss. I know here, protocol is to make you as comfortable as possible. HERE they give you a twilight sedation. After the procedure they "gas you" like when they do lap surgeries to make sure they didnt puncture your uterus. Losing a "bean" at any stage is hard. Many of us all have experienced this. Your not alone, just type and we will read and we will be here for you.
greenimonster01
on 5/5/11 2:44 pm - AZ

I just found this board and i saw your post and i couldnt help but reply. My thoughts are so with you.
I had a MC back in 2009 i was 11 wks along the baby was not viable but the pregnacy continued they said it may have stopped growing around 8wks so i had to have a DNC.
I have had my share of set backs, I do have 1 son who is 5. I grew up with siblings i wanted that for him thats why we tried. Im no spring chicken and i was told for years that i would probably never conceive due to having PCOS. 
To make a depressing story short, i was very scared after the MC but i wanted to let you know that i am 37wks along today so there is hope.
My hubby gave me words of wizdom that im going to pass to you....The gift that was given to you was taken back because someone else needed it more then you at this time, but your time will come.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1240 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 862 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views