clothing shopping??

Erin Castillo
on 8/8/12 2:31 pm - NM
I know this sounds silly, however I really want to ask.  Did anyone have trouble shopping for new clothes?  I went shopping for the first time since my surgery this past week and had trouble finding clothes that I felt comfortable in.  Has anyone else had this experience because it makes no sense that I am 3 to 4 sizes smaller and still don't feel comfortable in clothes.
Erin Castillo

Calking
on 8/8/12 2:42 pm
VSG on 05/31/12
My suggestion is to go to local thrift stores.  This way you are simple "renting" clothes on your way to the goal weight.

Good Will or Salvation Army are two such places.  Friends or family can also be helpful in loaning you somethings.  I was lucky enough to find a great place local to me that donates all profits to Alzheimer's research.  To date they have donated 1.4 million dollars.  They average 200 to 300 thousand dollars a year in donations.  They sell all shirts/pants at $3.00 ea.  They even have a deal where you buy 5 and get 6th free.  They even steam clean every item that comes into the store.  You can't beat that.

I know thrift stores don't appeal to many people and it was a real hard thing for me to do ... but clothes I bought there 3 weeks ago are already getting a bit baggy.  One pair of pants are almost too big to wear anymore and a second pair that fit a little snug now are fairly loose and extremely comfortable.

Since the mid-section is the last to go ... shirts will last a bit longer.  I went from an x-large pre op to a lg at the thrift store and now they are getting a little on the big side but I am not quite ready for a medium unless it was a bigger sized medium as opposed to a slimmer medium.

Anyway many people will advise not to invest a lot in clothing on the way down.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Erin Castillo
on 8/8/12 2:51 pm - NM
Thanks for your advice.  I really think the aspect that the clothes wouldn't fit for long (hopefully) and the money involved really influenced my mood.  I was just hoping to be that person who felt like a million bucks because for the first time in years I didn't have to shop in the plus sizes.
acbbrown
on 8/8/12 2:44 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Id say it took me a good 18 months after I started losing weight to start embracing my smaller size and feeling more comfortable in clothes...but even now, im more comfortable in baggy clothes (even though it bothers me) than clothing that is more form fitting because I always feel like people are staring at me when I wear something that actually fits. 

Shopping is definitely fun though - i like to try things on that I know id never wear out of the dressing room :-p

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Erin Castillo
on 8/8/12 2:58 pm - NM
You really nailed it!  Even my husband was saying that I need to get used to wearing a different style of clothing.  But what a head trip!!!  Today was the first day I wore the smaller clothes, but  I feel more comfy in the bigger clothes even though several people have commented how they really are too big.  I am used to hiding behind my clothing so now what?  I read/hear about so many people that love shopping for new wardrobes, and I guess I am hyper sensitive to my appearance.  I guess I need to give it time (and therapy because did I really think I would  look like a model lol? LOL).
danzeppelin
on 8/8/12 3:18 pm
VSG on 08/15/12
Well the last time i fit into skinny jeans they were bell bottoms with embroidery down the leg, and a satin jacket...guess I'm gonna have to start a new old fad!
...Wonder where i can get some platform shoes?

Erin Castillo
on 8/8/12 3:25 pm - NM
Hey, fashion has a way of cycling around.  Your descripton seems quire fashionable!!!  Have you seen the shoes that are considered fashionable these days?  I would break my other collar bone just trying to walk haha!
danzeppelin
on 8/8/12 3:28 pm
VSG on 08/15/12
That's cause we were just soo cool!

MotoChic
on 8/8/12 3:21 pm - CA
 i had smaller clothes till i got to where i am now... my 10 jeans are looking too big and fall down, i went n bought shoet and capri  and 2 sets 3 sets of workout clothes,   i dont knowhow much more i will looseso i still hesitate on gettng new clothes, but shopping at my size is morefun than the fat shop and much cheaper.  i passed my fat clothes to my daughter she also got vsg
rhearob
on 8/9/12 5:17 am - TN
 regardless of where you get your clothes, this is something we all go through.  I am told all the time when I clothes shop and complain about something being too tight or not feeling right that I just don't understand how clothes are SUPPOSED to fit, or that I am not used to wearing clothes that do fit.

We have heard on these boards often that your true body image is about 3 months ahead of your self image.  I think thats really true.

Give yourself time.  You will learn to feel more comfortable.  When you go clothes shopping, make it an event - take some people with you whose opinions you really trust and rely on their guidance.  Go and try different things on - that can be a world of fun on their own right now as you continue to shrink and is a great way of reaffirming your progress.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views