Need advice on some workout gear!

Jocelynn
on 2/24/13 6:38 am - Leeper, PA

I'm about to begin a running regimen! kiss It's was a pre-WLS dream of mine for a long time, so I'm pretty excited to begin.

Basically, I'm looking for some ideas/advice on clothing mostly. I've been doing some research on shoes (because I understand how important a good pair of shoes is!) but as far as clothing goes, I'm not real sure. I'm thinking I probably will need something very supportive considering the loose skin I have (blegh!).

Are there any brands/products that have worked good for you? What kind of shoes have you found to be good for runners?

Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly

acbbrown
on 2/24/13 6:56 am - Granada Hills, CA

There's no "one size fit all" as far as shoes go. There are a lot of great brands/types but you need to go to a running store and get fitted (look for a good store that has some fancy toys to do this - not just someone thats going to watch you walk/run). I prefer asics - helps with my plantar fasciitis issues and over pronating. 

I prefer to wear spandex - both before and after my PS - to workout - at least as far as bottoms go. Under Armor compression wear is my preferred choice. They have different levels of compression - they have shorts, capris, and pants that I like. As far as shirts go, I usually just buy moisture wicking tops a size smaller than I normal wear for a little compression. I can only workout in race back type tanks though - i hate t shirts!

Good luck with the running endeavors!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Kim S.
on 2/25/13 3:09 am - Helena, AL

Trial and error will help you find what you like.  For shoes, definitely go and get fitted at a running store.  It is worth every penny you pay for good running shoes.  I am a neutral shoe, and I wear Saucony. 

For clothes,depends on the season.  For cold weather, I prefer the cotton/spandex pants or capris and sports bra (LOVE Victoria's Secret VSX line) and a moisture wicking long sleeve shirt...and if it is really cold, I wear a sleeveless fleece vest, scarf, gloves and knit headband. 

For 50-70 degree range, I wear the same bottoms, sports bra/top with a zip up cotton jacket that I can remove and tie around my waist.

For the pits of hell summers we have here, I wear as little as possible so I don't offend the other runners.  Usually running skirts, or the loose running shorts with the built in panty and a t-back running bra/top....and yes, I just let my mid section hang out when I run in the summer.  I always wear a sweat band and carry my frog tog towel when running in summer.

I hate to wear regular t-shirts and always go sleeveless as soon as weather permits.

Oh!  socks....get good quality socks with lots of support.

Ipod loaded with great music and a water bottle and you are set to go!  Have fun!

Paul C.
on 2/25/13 4:51 am - Cumming, GA

Like others go to a running store and get fitted.  Clothes look into COMPRESSION  not fitted or regular.  Compression will hold the jiggly bits in place.  

Go for what works  my brand may not be yours and you don't have to buy UA because everyone else does.  I have some compression stuff I bought at Kohls that has lasted longer than some of my UA stuff

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
acbbrown
on 2/25/13 6:49 am - Granada Hills, CA

I really like UA compression capris but yeah...they dont last long which sucks.

I usually get good workout clothes at Kohls and its much cheaper.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

nfarris79
on 2/28/13 7:27 pm, edited 2/28/13 7:27 pm - Germantown, MD

I echo the "go to running store  & get fitted" because the right shoes when you're running makes a WORLD of difference! I have a normal footpath (shocking!) with a good stride so I wear Addidas Adizero Aegis.... after going thru 2 pairs of them in the past year, I stopped buying it at the running store ($125 a pop!) and bought the same shoe on eBay for $85.

If you're still in the going-thru-sizes like the wind phase, don't invest too much in brand new workout clothes. Do try to find compression and technical fabrics at places like Goodwill or thrift shops (and wash thouroughly). Paul's right that what works for one may not work for another. I'm a big fan of hitting Kohl's when they have their $10 coupons but have stuff from every brand under the sun (UA, Fila, Addidas, Nike,Pearl Izumi, Brooks, Lululemon, Champion, VS, Danskin.....). For me the priorities are a) no cotton, b) keep the jiggly bits in, and c) cheap!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active