Hydration Vests

KatCooper
on 7/23/12 5:29 am - Collierville, TN
 Do any of you run with hydration vests??  I currently run with a 20 oz hand held a 2 10oz bottles on a belt.  I run with those when I am going to run 6-8 miles.   I am running out when I hit about 7 miles.  My milage starts increasing to 10 miles this week. I am running in the South (Memphis) and at 530am its usually about 90% humitiday and 80 degrees.  It is going to be like this for another month, at least.  I am running in neighborhoods with no parks or stores to refill my water bottles.   I could run back to the house and refill, but I am worried I will not get back out there.   I was looking at the hydration vests and they hold about 70 oz but weigh about 6lbs when full.  That seems like a lot of weight, but if well placed I would think it would be doable.  Any thoughts, suggestions????

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

acbbrown
on 7/24/12 12:56 am - Granada Hills, CA
I tried on one of the camel back things - there's no way I could run with that thing!  I'm amused by all these hydration belts that are so bulky yet only allow you to carry 20oz of water - what's the point :-p

For the hand held one - the one I bought - it came with a 20 oz bottle, but they sold a bigger bottle that will fit in the same holder so maybe you can look to see if you can get i think it might have been a 28-30oz bottle.  I don't know how much it will help but I'd say just work with what you have and make sure you hydrate well before/after your long run.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Seht
on 7/24/12 1:31 am
I have run and ridden with a Camelback and it works OK, the only problem I had with it was that it creates a hot spot on your back.  Having that extra bulk and insulation on your back really heats that spot up.

What I like to do is put the Camelback on my son who rides his bike with me when I run.
Since the distances are not that great, it doesn't seem like much of an issue for him.  I get someone to talk with and encourage me, plus I have plenty to drink for the longer runs.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

acbbrown
on 7/24/12 2:18 am - Granada Hills, CA
 I love this idea :) I just need to borrow a kid...

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

KatCooper
on 7/24/12 2:30 am - Collierville, TN
 I think my son would boycott.  He has football from 7-12 and basketball from 12-330.  I can just see his face when I ask him to come bike 4 -9 miles with Mom!!!  LOL  Thanks for the feedback.  I figured the packs would get hot.  I guess I wills stick with what I have and run back to the house if I need more water.  I think I will just leave it outside so I dont have to go into the house.  My house is my "finish line" in my mind so thats is going wierd to run home and leave.  

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Kim S.
on 7/25/12 1:30 am - Helena, AL
Make friends with a few neighbors on your route and ask if you can refill your bottles from their outside faucet.  I'd let a runner do that at my house.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 7/24/12 10:13 am - Fort Worth, TX
I have ran ULTRAS of 50 Miles to 100 miles with a Camelbak. I would not stay hydrated well enough with just a few 10oz bottles...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

KittenLove
on 7/27/12 2:16 am - Around Knoxville, TN
I finally caved and bought a Camelbak but I got the kids one (it's pink!) - perfect size and holds enough.

LOVE

Be happy. 

Jp2lose
on 7/30/12 1:13 am - Omaha, NE
I usually run with a group and for our longer runs we find a place to leave a cooler with drinks along the route. Takes a little more planning, but it's always worth it.

Most Active