Traveling and change of climate while training

KatCooper
on 4/28/13 6:04 am - Collierville, TN

I know some of you travel while you train and I have a question......  I live in Memphis where it is hot and humid like much of the South.  I will be staying in Dillingham, Alaska for a month in June.  The highs will be in the low 60's, lows 30-40's.   I can run and bike on an indoor treadmill where is it warm, but not hot or run outside.  Biking will all be inside, because I am not shipping my bike to Alaska.  Its just cost prohibitive.   Swimming is out because it is to cold, and I am not swimming with wales....call me a chicken, I am ok with it.   Should I train "hot" outdoors with a sweat suit or will it really make any difference in the long run as far as getting used to the heat when I get back.   My big race is in September 70.3 Augusta, and I think I should be fine, but just wanted to see if anyone had ideas,

Thanks,

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

acbbrown
on 4/28/13 9:30 am - Granada Hills, CA

OOoohhhh Alaska sounds fun :)

Just some ideas but you might be able to rent a bike somewhere at least to get a few rides in over the month. And maybe see if there are any community pools you can do some lap swimming in. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

KatCooper
on 4/28/13 8:37 pm - Collierville, TN

It's going to be a great trip!  BUT we are out in rural Alaska....you know, grizzly bears and such.  Closest pool is about 300 miles and no bike rentals.  I will have a few days in Anchorage, over the 4th of July, so I can probably find a real bike then.  At least the hospital where the Hubs works has a treadmills and stationary bikes.  It wont be the same, but hopefully I can make it work.

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

acbbrown
on 4/28/13 10:36 pm - Granada Hills, CA

You will make it work - i have faith in you :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

nfarris79
on 4/28/13 8:31 pm - Germantown, MD

While I haven't trained extensively in different climates, the one thing is that going from cold to hot seems to make a bigger transition than vice versa. I found running in FL to be a bit sluggy because of the humidity & heat while it was still cold up here in MD. But your body gets used to things over time, so maybe wear what's ever comfortable outdoors in the first couple weeks, and then slowly add on (wicking) layers to mimic the transition back to heat. You don't want to overheat, of course, and so long as your body has time to transition back to your normal climate before the race, you should be fine :)

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

KatCooper
on 4/28/13 8:38 pm - Collierville, TN

Thanks, thats what I was thinking as well.   I have a 2 months to get used to it again but I know the humidity is going to kills me.

velma001
on 4/28/13 9:04 pm - Tustin, CA

Hi KatCooper,

i think you must try to make some friends and then plan for fun, it will be a safe side idea...

Kim S.
on 5/1/13 12:42 am - Helena, AL

Alaska in June.........COLOR ME JEALOUS!

I'm not a serious athlete like you, but I know when I travel the weather always factors into my workouts.  In Alaska in June you should be able to be outdoors quite a bit-the air is so clean there, you want to suck up as much as you can!  You are a true "Southerner" living here, so you'll get right back in the swing of it once you get back.  Think of it like this:  every Winter and then subsequent Summer we reaclimate....

When you go to Anchorage, there is a wonderful walking/running path down by the water--take advantage of it!  My DH and I walked it and subsequently walked the whole city-great walking city.

emilydouglas
on 5/7/13 3:25 pm - PA

I suggest you to have hot outdoor training. It may burn more fats and produce more calories, this makes you more consistent at time of  real performance. http://glassesmarket.com

Most Active