farewell2fat’s Posts

farewell2fat
on 4/8/23 10:06 pm, edited 4/9/23 10:09 am
Topic: RE: Anyone else have abnormal esophageal motility after sleeve & hernia repair?

Hi, my 27 year old son is 5 weeks out from sleeve surgery & large hernia repair. He's done well with recovery other than some intermittent vomiting after eating. We thought maybe he was eating too much, too fast & not chewing his food thoroughly. It concerned me enough to contact his doctor. I had the sleeve back in 2011 & never remember having vomiting like he's had. His bariatric surgeon ordered an Upper GI with contrast. It shows abnormal esophageal motility & a severe spasm at the GE junction. No reflux or hernia noted. He had significant acid reflux prior to surgery. Doctor is going to do an endoscopy on him next week. I guess the technician/doctor at his upper GI said he had narrowing of the esophagus & would most likely need dilation. But his report reads that his esophagus is normal in caliber? So I'm confused. Has anyone else experienced this? Please help because I'm really worried.

farewell2fat
on 2/22/16 6:47 pm
Topic: RE: Anyone have a hernia repair w/Nissen fundoplication after sleeve??

You'll are right! I said how in the HELL can they wrap your sleeve stomach around your esophagus? Thought I had that without consent. I thought I was only getting a paraesophageal hernia repair. But my discharge papers said robotic hernia repair Nissen. I called my doctor & asked, the PA that was in the surgery with doctor said no Nissen was done. Yes, mesh was used. But my next question at my post op appt will be why does it say that on discharge papers & also on my laparoscopic surgery pics?? Insurance reasons? More money? Who knows, but it did alarm me thinking a procedure I didn't consent to was performed.

farewell2fat
on 2/21/16 6:04 pm, edited 2/21/16 7:11 pm
Topic: RE: Anyone have a hernia repair w/Nissen fundoplication after sleeve??

If so, please tell me your results, feedback. 

farewell2fat
on 2/14/16 8:04 pm
Topic: RE: Need prayers please...feeling nervous

Thank you @Happyteacher. Appreciate that.

farewell2fat
on 2/14/16 7:48 pm, edited 2/14/16 11:55 am

Who knew that a bad hiatal hernia causes you to feel as though you're having a heart attack or that you're trying to digest an elephant! That's how it feels! I thought hernias cause acid reflux, and they do, but I never feel the classic symptoms of acid in the throat, belching. I feel massive pain in my chest. I have to excuse myself from the table if at a restaurant & work my way out of it. I sometimes make 2 -3 trips to either throw up or deal with the pain in privacy. It's not pleasant, it ruins the moment, it's not normal. I pray this can be fixed..

farewell2fat
on 2/14/16 7:40 pm

Thank you. I should probably edit to say it didn't "cause" the hernia, but the extreme weight loss from the sleeve in a way did. It made the opening larger. I know you can lose weight naturally though. 

farewell2fat
on 2/14/16 6:50 pm, edited 2/14/16 6:53 pm

Upcoming surgery to repair very bad hiatal hernia that has been causing me extreme pain & discomfort. I'm 5 years post op, been fine until now. I hope & pray this surgery "fixes" me & that I don't regret doing the sleeve. Because right now, I can't help but feel that it has altered my quality of life. Had I not had the sleeve, I wouldn't have this bad hernia. Yes, I lost weight, gained some back, but this pain after only eating a few bites is horrific & very concerning. I know I'm in good hands with my bariatric surgeon, but still. I'm a mom to 3, I can't afford to be out of commission. I'm nervous about the pain I'm having, that it ACTUALLY goes away after surgery, nervous about the surgery itself, the recovery, the pain, etc. I'm a mess!! :(

farewell2fat
on 10/10/15 3:24 pm
Topic: RE: I'm experiencing a problem 4 years post op, please advise!!!

Tighten up your sleeve? Or a tummy tuck?

farewell2fat
on 10/9/15 2:58 pm
farewell2fat
on 10/9/15 2:56 pm, edited 10/9/15 3:02 pm
Topic: RE: I'm experiencing a problem 4 years post op, please advise!!!

Been experiencing pain/discomfort while/after eating over a year now. I chalked it up to just having a sleeve & maybe I was eating too fast or drinking a little while eating. But pain became more prominent in recent months. Feels like im having heart attack, dry heave, sometimes throw up. Finally went back to my bariatric surgeon to check this out. He ordered upper GI, went yesterday for results. Apparently I have a severe hiatal hernia & its allowing my stomach to be pushed up into my esophagus/media steinum area. They say I have a tourturous esophagus too. They're surprised I'm not in more pain & say I have bad reflux. Never knew because I only feel reflux once in a while, but don't even take meds for it. Doctor suggests conversion surgery to RNY surgery along with hernia repair. WHY is my question?? Why can't he just do hernia repair & be done with it??? He claims hernia will probably reoccur in 2-3 years. Please help. Anyone else experience this? Apparently, I'm only 1 of 2 of his patients in his practice that's had this. My luck!

farewell2fat
on 5/2/14 12:31 pm
Topic: RE: Calcium

The ones I take are Vitafusion from Costco, but it says tricalcium phosphate. Guessing it's the wrong type of calcium.

farewell2fat
on 5/1/14 9:36 am
Topic: RE: Calcium

What type are we suppose to be taking?

farewell2fat
on 8/17/13 12:06 pm
Topic: RE: HELP!!! The honeymoon period is OVER!!!
DOES THIS WORK???...

5 day pouch test?

Day 1 & 2-liquids only. You can have as many low-carb protein shakes as you need to satisfy your hunger. In addition get in all your water at least 64 ounces. The purpose of all liquids is to break any snacking, grazing or processed carb habits. The liquids will work to clense your system and detox you for the next 3 days.

Day 3-soft protein only. Canned fish, eggs, fresh soft fish. no drinking 30 min prior or 30 min after, and you only 4-6 ounces of food.

Day 4-firm protein. Ground turkey, beef, chicken. Shellfish, scallops, lobster, salmon or halibut.

Day 5-Solid protein- white meat poultry, beef steak, pork, wild game, etc.

farewell2fat
on 8/17/13 11:56 am, edited 8/17/13 12:07 pm
Topic: RE: HELP!!! The honeymoon period is OVER!!!
I need to jumpstart my sleeve big time! I'm 2 yrs, 7 mos post op. I've gained like 10 lbs. I'm upset. I know exactly what I've done, or should I say what I haven't done to gain this weight. I'm disgusted with myself. I became complacent, got lazy & started making poor food choices. The honeymoon period is over, the compliments stopped rolling in. Reality has set in & it's all on me to keep this weight off! My sleeve can only do so much. I got a new job (which I love), but it's a sedentary position. This hasn't helped out the situation! I know what I need to do to get control of this. I've implemented "clean eating" rules again. This applies to my entire family! I just need support & to hear from those that have been where I currently am! Please & thank you!!!

farewell2fat
on 6/9/13 12:27 pm
Topic: RE: What does it mean...
When you have extremely achey legs? I know it's a sign of something, just can't remember exactly what it was...

farewell2fat
on 7/25/12 12:14 pm, edited 7/25/12 12:14 pm
Topic: RE: Iced Coffee Transfer Addiction taken to the next level w/pic
ME TOO!!! I drink a venti iced coffee w/a shot of espresso, extra ice, 3 splenda & half/half EVERDAY!!! Love it:) It's my only vice!!

farewell2fat
on 7/25/12 11:39 am
Topic: RE: Pain the the ARSE...literally!!!
 I've lost appox 66 lbs & I'm a 1 1/2 yrs out. I recently started having pain in my rear, my tail bone I guess!? I'm assuming it's because I've lost weight, but surely naturally skinny people's butt's don't hurt! Why is this & how can I relieve the pain?? It hurts bad when sitting for a long time. I find myself constantly readjusting my seating position & sometimes put a pillow underneath me. And lying flat in bed when sleeping hurts too, actually feel the bone protruding! Please help!!! :(

farewell2fat
on 1/18/12 10:48 pm
Topic: RE: Check out my photo book in honor of my 1 year surgiversary!
Thank you ladies!!! I had a really rough time after surgery with nausea, pain & such. I wondered why I did this to myself & felt regretful. But after I got over that hump, it's been smooth sailing since & I'm sooo happy I had this surgery!!! My weight loss has been slow, but I'm still grateful. I would NEVER have been able to lose 66 lbs on my own! The sleeve has been a life changing experience for me:))) Good luck on your journey's & I wish you the same success, if not BETTER!!!

farewell2fat
on 1/16/12 1:09 pm, edited 1/16/12 1:11 pm
Topic: RE: Check out my photo book in honor of my 1 year surgiversary!

Click here to view this photo book largerThe new way to make a photo album: photo books by Shutterfly.

farewell2fat
on 1/10/12 11:42 pm
Topic: RE: Does anyone know how to make a weight loss progression chart with pics??
Approaching my 1 year surgiversary & would like to make one. Didn't know if there was a website for this kind of thing. Thanks!

farewell2fat
on 12/12/11 10:07 am
Topic: RE: Approaching my 1 yr surgiversary!
I'm happy that I had this surgery.  I would do it all over again, even with the rough time I had after surgery. I feel good. My self image has improved. Make no mistake, not all of my problems have been solved by having this surgery, but it sure has improved this particular aspect of my life :)

farewell2fat
on 10/28/11 3:22 am
Topic: RE: Lost 62 lbs in 9 mos (which is nice, but could be better)...
I'm in a rut lately. Went back to work after being a stay at home mom for many years. Excited that I'm out of the house & meeting new people, but I'm a little stressed trying to juggle it all. Been eating some bad things, carbs, diet coke & such. Need to focus more on my protein. Can you guys give me some tips & some good "go to" food items to  have in stock. Going to Costco today. Thanks!!

farewell2fat
on 9/20/11 11:02 am
Topic: RE: Is this it???
8  mos out & 59 lbs down. Always seemed to be a slow loser, but come on! I'm not gonna be one of those people that say, "I do everything right & don't know why the weight isn't dropping"! Because that would be a lie! For the first 6 mos, I WAS the poster child for VSG & did everything by the book! But I have been slacking & the carbs have come back into my life I'm ashamed to say! Is it too late for me to lose addtional weight or have I missed my "honeymoon" period for weight loss?!? Please help me with some tipson how to get back on track! Although I probably know them all, just need a swift kick in the rear end!!! Thanks in advance!!!!

farewell2fat
on 8/10/11 12:03 pm
Topic: RE: Pics from my 20 yr HS reunion!
Me on the far right in the black dress:)

farewell2fat
on 8/10/11 11:22 am, edited 8/9/11 11:23 pm
Topic: RE: It's been a while folks! Checking in!
I haven't posted in a while, mainly because I've been trying to keep up w/my 3 kids over the Summer break! It's a full time job trying to keep them entertained & keep them from fighting! Lol! Anyways, I'm doing relatively well, besides during w/some very low iron levels (which I'll elaborate on in this post). I've lost 55 lbs so far! Excited about that! Still consider myself somewhat of a slow loser, but I'm still okay w/that. I attended my 20 yr high school reunion a couple weeks ago & had a fantastic time! I felt good & looked good too! I was never really big in high school, so I was really dreading going to the reunion being overweight. I thought no one would recognize me. So, when the reunion committee contacted me a year ago about my upcoming reunion, I had NO intentions of going. Well, needless to say, I did go & am very happy that I did. I got a ton of compliments that night, even danced, something I rarely do! But I credit this all to the weight loss. I feel good about myself, so I'm no longer hanging out on the side lines anymore!
At my 6 mos bariatric check up, everything checked out okay, but I mentioned to the Dr. that I was having dizzy spells & felt very weak during my menstruation cycle. They said it sounded like low iron, but would contact me when my lab work came in (had them drawn same day as my appt). They called me a week later & said that my iron level was almost non-existent, at a level 4. It had dropped from an 8 at my last check up at 3 mos. So, they were concerned & referred me to a Hematologist to inquire about Iron infusion therapy. Had my consult w/the Hematologist this week & he said I probably had this problem prior to surgery, but that the surgery didn't help the situation. He aslo mentioned shortening the duration/severity of my periods by doing a procedure called ablasion. So, I have to consult w/a Gynocologist for this. Other than this bump in the road, doing pretty well. Meeting my protein goals, could be drinking my fluids more & could actually start exercising! I feel like I already get a pretty good workout keeping up w/my kids, but I technically know that's not nearly enough! ;)
One thing that is kind of bothering me though is the fact that my husband hasn't really complimented my weight loss. NOT that I did the surgery for him or need his reaffirmation, but it WOULD be nice!!! I think it's insecurity at it's finest! Everyone else mentions my weight loss, so I get pissed off when he doesn't. Oh well, he's an ass!
Only adverse side effects that I've had so far are minimal hair loss & my boobs have defintely taken a hit! They have deflated & weren't really perky to begin with (especially after 3 kids)! So I think I see a boob job in my near future! Lol! I do have the beginnings of some bat wings on my arms too! All that being said, it's still worth it to me!
Hopefully all of you are enjoying your Summer & are doing well!!! Take care:)

Most Active