farewell2fat’s Posts

farewell2fat
on 11/3/10 12:32 am, edited 11/3/10 12:40 am
Topic: RE: I know people have survived this, BUT...
@WasaBubbleButt: My family is NOT bizarre, they just love & care for me. They have my best interest at heart. While I may not completely agree with them, I still value & respect their opinions. They worry about my safety, my health & any complications that may occur. I appreciate your passion, but they are not bizarre in the least bit, just very cautious.

My younger sister & brother had sleeve surgery last year in Florida w/ Dr. Steve Webb & have had tremendous success with zero complications. They want me to also go to him. I would like to, however, although I do have insurance, I have NO benefits for WLS. Therefore I'm a self pay & can't afford the $18,000 surgery w/him. I feel like I can get the same exact quality surgery (if not BETTER) & still have the same results as them, PLUS save approx $4,000!!! I am a married mother w/3 children, so the savings is appealing to me having a family to also think of. However, my family thinks I shouldn't bargain w/my health & say that one should never put a price tag on their health. My father says he will contribute to my surgery, if not pay for all of it. But my husband & I are proud people & have never accepted money from our families in the (almost) 17 yrs we've been married & don't want to start now. We are comfortable paying for the Mexico surgery.

This is challenging having my family be very opposed to surgery in Mexico. But I'm holding my ground & sticking to my guns thus far. I am nervous, but feel like I'm making an a good decision. I have THOROUGHLY researched this & feel like Dr. Aceves is the best of the best.

Thanks again for your kind words of support & your not so kind words! ;)

farewell2fat
on 11/2/10 12:46 pm
Topic: RE: Less than two weeks - someone smack me
 Excited for you as well!! Can't wait to hear about your experience!! It will be here before you know it :)

farewell2fat
on 11/2/10 12:45 pm
 Thanks for all your support as this is a very challenging time. I dearly love my sisters & know they are coming from a good place. But I do feel good about my decision, nervous, but good for the most part. It's part of my personality to be a people pleaser & want everyone's approval, but I feel like I've done my homework & am not making an irrational/bad decision. Thank you all again!!! 

farewell2fat
on 11/2/10 11:55 am, edited 11/2/10 12:27 pm
@exitrealtor4u: You TOTALLY just stole me avatar! Not cool.. please be unique & get your own! There are so many others to choose from! People are going to confuse us as one in the same now! ;(

farewell2fat
on 11/2/10 11:52 am, edited 11/2/10 12:16 pm
 @Fatguyinalittlecoat, the following is an actual email my sister recently sent me. My family is not easily convinced & think I'm absolutely out of my mind for choosing Mexico:

This is not an easy surgery. It's no walk in park. Doesn't matter how experienced said surgeon is by some fancy website, or extensive webpage. You are not within your country.  Post travel will be a ***** under the very best of cir****tances!!!! They are legal considerations that you have to appreciate. You have NO legal recourse in a foreign country as a result of medical complications, fraud, or negligence. Have you even checked with Mexican embassy to find out policies and advisories on their medical tourism and their safety standards?Medical forum boards and impressive lingo should not be the standard in which you choose your medical care. Dr experience is a big selling point, I agree, but again if he is not being regulated by a medical board and you have no licensed third party that back up his claims, then it's a moot point.     It is up to you. I just want to state for the record that I think it's the WORST idea of your life. I'm sorry if I sound mean or unpleasant.  I am really concerned and think that it is never a good idea to put a cost to your health and care.  Simple. I'm sorry. That's just how I feel. I wish you the best of luck with your decision. I pray and hope it's truly what you want it to be. 

farewell2fat
on 11/2/10 11:37 am
I'm afraid you're right. But I have basically told my sisters that I appreciate their concern, value their opinions, but that I'm still planning on sleeve surgery in Mexico w/Dr. Aceves in December. They are making me more nervous than I already am, but am not wavering on my decision thus far.

farewell2fat
on 11/2/10 11:28 am, edited 11/2/10 11:31 am
My family tells me that it's going to be impossible to fly home on a plane (from Mexico) after sleeve surgery without having major discomfort & pain. My sis had sleeve surgery in the states & swears she wouldn't have been able to get on a plane 3 days later without any issues! They are really starting to worry me with this. Thoughts please!!! 

farewell2fat
on 11/1/10 2:08 am, edited 11/1/10 2:17 am
Topic: RE: Having 2nd thoughts about Mexico...
Finally convinced my younger to accompany me to Mexico in December for VSG with Dr. Aceves. Now my older sister is begging me to NOT travel to Mexico because her Doctor friend told her to convince me AT ALL COSTS to do VSG in the states because he has heard too many horror stories. Also, she said that my insurance won't cover anything in the event that I encounter any complications from VSG AND that my insurance company can even DROP me once they find out I had a medical procedure done in Mexico!!!  

farewell2fat
on 10/30/10 9:17 am
Topic: RE: 2 weeks out.:)
Glad to hear you are doing well so far!! I've seen a couple of posts on here lately that have actually scared me, so yours is encouraging!! Good luck on the rest of your journey!!

farewell2fat
on 10/29/10 10:35 am
Topic: RE: Almost 3 weeks out......NOT HAPPY W/MY SLEEVE
 ummm...I'm really scared about my surgery now. 

farewell2fat
on 10/27/10 12:08 pm
Topic: RE: Davinci Sugarfree Syrups - CHEAP!!!
 What do you use the syrups for?? Coffee??

farewell2fat
on 10/27/10 12:07 pm
Topic: RE: yuk! bought some fat free plain greek yogurt, yuk
 Why can't we eat the 0% Chobani Greek yogurt w/fruit?? Those are delish!!

farewell2fat
on 10/26/10 11:26 am
Topic: RE: Coffee?
 Thank goodness because I'm a coffee lover & was worried!! Gives me hope that I can enjoy it & still lose weight!!

farewell2fat
on 10/25/10 10:31 am
Topic: RE: Ladies, talk to me about shape wear
I heard Dr. Robert Reye's (the famous cosmetic surgeon) shapewear from Sears is really good.

farewell2fat
on 10/25/10 3:07 am
Topic: RE: Pictures of food I eat at 16 months out
Your you tube posts have been very informative to me..discovered you when I was researching the sleeve. Good job on your success!! Glad to have stumbled upon you here on OH!! Do you personally cook all your meals?? I see you have quite the variety.

farewell2fat
on 10/25/10 12:04 am
Topic: RE: Lexapro after VSG...
 Although Lexapro has helped me with anxiety, I know for sure it has helped me pack on the pounds!! Not completely blaming Lexapro for my weight, because I was overweight prior, but it sure didn't help the situation. I know that weight gain is a common side effect w/Lexapro & drugs of the same class. I have spoken to my PCP about this & have tried out a different medication w/no success. Anyone else ever been in this situation & have any advice to offer?? I need to take something, but just not something that is counterproductive to weight loss. 

farewell2fat
on 10/24/10 10:53 am
Topic: RE: Soooooo Much Healthier With Pics!!
 Looking good!! Congrat's to you!! Can't wait for my surgery!!

farewell2fat
on 10/23/10 8:43 am
Topic: RE: How long does it really suck at first??..honestly!!
 Thanks so much everybody!! All very helpful information :)

farewell2fat
on 10/21/10 11:32 pm
Topic: RE: How long does it really suck at first??..honestly!!
Ok post op VSG'ers..How long does life really suck after VSG before you start to see the light at the end of tunnel & realize that surgery was well worth it??? Just trying to mentally prepare myself. 

farewell2fat
on 10/20/10 7:14 am
Topic: RE: Just a silly little update
Glad to hear you are doing well. My surgery is scheduled in Dec. If you don't mind, what is the "click mocha" you speak of?? Also, what protein powder do you use? I've been scoping out a lot of the products I need for post-op & wanted to get some feedback. I couldn't find Isopure unflavored, does it even come that way?? Continued success :)

farewell2fat
on 10/20/10 5:41 am
Topic: RE: One Month Down / Question
 Haven't had surgery yet, but this is my fear. I'm a huge coffee & diet coke drinker, both of which you shouldn't have post-op! But I have heard over & over again on OH that people's taste buds change after surgery. I'm hoping this to be the case!

farewell2fat
on 10/19/10 12:11 pm
Topic: RE: Thoughts on CARB craving...long
 What great information! Very eye opening! I deal with carb cravings on a daily basis. Have been on Lexapro in the past & I'm quite sure it has contributed to my weight gain, but it worked for my anxiety. Now I have anxiety about being overweight..lol!!! Can't win for losing ;)

farewell2fat
on 10/19/10 11:21 am
Topic: RE: Need to reschedule my surgery!!!
 Not that big of a deal, but I just got an email from Dr. Aceves patient coordinator (Nina) stating he can't do my surgery on Dec 3rd because he has just been asked to be a presenter at a sleeve conference in New York  the 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th of Dec!! Although I'm a little bummed because I had THAT date set in my head, it gives me comfort knowing he's thought of enough to be a presenter at a sleeve conference in the US, very reassuring!!! Now shooting for the following week. 

farewell2fat
on 10/19/10 10:45 am
Topic: RE: Frisco-Many Thanks
Good job on your success!!! I enjoy reading your posts as well! Keep up the good work!! :)

farewell2fat
on 10/19/10 12:19 am
Topic: RE: What do I have to do to convince my sister?...
 Thanks everybody! She's going with me regardless, but it would be nice if she had a little more faith in me. She is a sleeve patient herself, having done it in the US though. The way I look at it, like others have pointed out, is that Dr.Aceves has done WAY more sleeves than many US surgeons. The surgeon I would've used here has only done approx 100, Aceves has done approx 1000!! I'll take the doctor w/more experience any day & suck up my fears of traveling to traveling to Mexico!!! ;)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views