Kim S.’s Posts

Kim S.
on 5/17/11 11:52 pm
Topic: RE: C25K question
how accurate is the mileage counter on this Ipod program?  My DD has this on her Iphone and she went running with me last night....she informed me that the path where I run (it is not marked for miles) is 7 miles....not the 4-5 I guessed it to be.....

Kim S.
on 5/17/11 2:45 am
Topic: RE: Time to drink the kool-aid
You are smart to listen to your body and your doctor.  You don't have to give up your dream, just modify it--and that is what you did!

You are such an inspiration!!

Kim

Kim S.
on 5/17/11 2:42 am
Topic: RE: I think ill just hang out here
Welcome!  This is by far my favorite board.  You'll also never see those "I regained all my weight" posts here either!!

Kim

Kim S.
on 5/17/11 2:40 am
Topic: RE: Tuesday workouts
5 mile run when I get home today

Kim S.
on 5/16/11 12:04 am
Topic: RE: Can you over exercise?
The most important thing you can do is listen to your body.  You are more prone to injury if you are tired and your form suffers....then you'll have a long time to wait for an injury to heal.

You have to find balance so you don't fall behind.  Take your running shoes wherever you go--you can usually at least get a run in at a hotel on a treadmill.  I finally got to where I travel with my running gear and a resistance band so I do not miss a beat in my workouts.

I advocate running every other day--not every day.  However, I'm older (46) and have arthritis in my knees so they need a day in between to recover.  I do weight training on the non-run days, or yoga.

Kim

Kim S.
on 5/15/11 11:58 pm
Topic: RE: Does anyone use the PX90 system?
I am a P90X junkie!  I've been doing it for a year now--I also have P90X+ which is even more hard core!

Definitely do the fit test.  You can do these  workouts if you are resonably healthy and active, you just do a modified version, which most of them show an alternative for that purpose.  Then you work up to doing the entire thing.  I can now do them all, but it took at least 4 months (and I had already been working out for a year and a half when I started!).  Many a days in the beginning I had to crawl up the basement steps when I was done!

If you are just starting out, check out Power90--it is the early workout that came before P90X.

You will be amazed at what P90X will do for how you feel and look!

Kim

Kim S.
on 5/15/11 11:54 pm
Topic: RE: Exercise ups and downs....what do I do?
Don't approach exercise as spot treatment or as a weight loss plan.  Approach it from the basis of you need it for overall good health.

The key to building a strong body is to alternate aerobic exercise with weight training and strenghtening workouts like yoga.  You have to keep the body guessing what is coming next.....if you do the same things all the time, your body will become more efficient at it and it will not be as effective.

I wouldn't back off of any particular type of exercise.  Your "booty" will slim down as you lose more weight....right now you are probably building the muscle and it is lifting the fat...but when that fat goes--and it will--you'll have a lovely booty.

If your body needs to lose another 20 lbs, it will as long as you continue to make exercise a priority and do it daily.  A year from now you will be amazed at the results--keep doing it--you are on the right track!

Kim

Kim S.
on 5/15/11 11:48 pm
Topic: RE: GLORIOUS MONDAY WORKOUTS!!!
Tonight will be P90X legs and back with DD!

Kim

Kim S.
on 5/13/11 12:36 am
Topic: RE: C25K & musings
A couple weeks ago my husband and I were jogging on the beach and a fisherman stopped us and asked if we were the runners that he almost snagged in his line...he wanted to apologize. 

We weren't, but I turned to my husband and said "he thinks we are RUNNERS!"  And you know what--WE ARE!

It takes a long time to consider yourself an athlete.  I still don't know if I consider myself an athlete.  I do consider myself fit and active....and that is an amazing accomplishment for me and the greatest one of this journey of which I'm most proud.

I was completely sedentary and had never in my life been active or athletic.  My life is completely different now.  I am more confident in my physical abilities after 2 years of committed exercising.  My confidence really soared once I was able to do all of the workouts in my P90X series.  It took me a long time to muster the courage to take my running outdoors....I did it in the safety of my basement on the treadmill.  One day I just put on my ipod and said "I'm going out".  Once I got on the path and started running and passing other runners, it hit me--this is for me, no one else.  I just did it.  And I've never stopped.  I love running, hiking and weight training now--and most importantly I love the way I feel and look!

You are so wise to make physical fitness a key part of your journey.  I suspect those of us that do will likely not be on the "Failed Weight Loss Surgery" or "Revision" boards!

Kim

Kim S.
on 5/12/11 11:24 pm
Topic: RE: OT - Saw my plastic surgeon yesterday
You are making lemonade out of lemons....I like the idea of getting a problem fixed, and while you are under the hood, add some "bling".

Congrats to you and wishing you a speedy recovery!! 

Kim

Kim S.
on 5/12/11 11:21 pm
Topic: RE: I need to whittle the middle...

I agree--workout the whole body and make sure you do some good core workouts....there are many things you can do to build core muscles.....

Kim S.
on 5/12/11 11:19 pm
Topic: RE: Good Idea or Not?
I say buy a cheap pair at WalMart or Target that fit you now.  When they get too big, buy another cheap pair.....no more "shoulda-coulda-woulda".....live in the now and get out there and enjoy life!

Kim

Kim S.
on 5/12/11 11:17 pm
Topic: RE: Friday Workouts!
FINALLY a rest day for me!

Kim S.
on 5/12/11 12:18 am
Topic: RE: Thursday workouts
Tonight I'll do P90X+ upper body workout.  THEN REST TOMORROW!  This is day 6 in a row of working out--these old joints need a rest!

Actually tomorrow I will do an ab/core quickie (that is the only part of my body that isn't sore right now!)

Kim

Kim S.
on 5/11/11 3:41 am
Topic: RE: Flabby Underarms
My girls trip (6 of us having been doing this for years) is August 13th--a whole week of no husbands/no kids....it is heaven.  We stay at Crystal Shores West on West Beach in Gulf Shores.

Have fun at the Beau!  I love Biloxi too! 

Kim S.
on 5/10/11 11:44 pm
Topic: RE: need ideas on building muscle at home....
I love P90X--been doing it for a year now.  If you are just starting out, try Power90--it is the beginner version to master before P90X......they are available at beachbody.com

Kim

Kim S.
on 5/10/11 11:43 pm
Topic: RE: wednesday workouts
Gonna power walk the 'hood tonight....it is 3 miles and very hilly.  Always leaves the lower body muscles nice and sore after that walk!

Kim

Kim S.
on 5/10/11 11:14 am
Yep!  Just got back from Gulf Shores last weekend!  I get to go a few times a year....love it.  Where is your town in La?  I'm from Slidell/Pearl River area originally.

Kim

Kim S.
on 5/10/11 5:41 am
Topic: RE: tuesday workouts
4 mile HIIT run/jog/speedwalk tonight

Kim S.
on 5/8/11 11:26 pm
Topic: RE: How soon can I start exercising after VSG?
Before starting anything new ask your doctor.  It depends on what your fitness level was before surgery and your overall health.  Walking is great exercise to begin.

Please come visit us here often!  We have folks at all fitness levels (from beginner to psycho...you know who you are!!). 

Congrats on your surgery and a big high five to you for incorporating exercise early!!  It really is the key to long term good health and weight control!!

Kim

Kim S.
on 5/8/11 11:23 pm
I've lost 170 lbs and my arms were big.  I've built my arm muscles up to the point that I have good definition, but yes, I still have some skin. 

I never kept my arms covered though!  I live in the deep south and would die if I didn't go sleeveless! 

Get some weights--begin with 5 lbs and work up to at least 20 (I'm currently at 15 and 20).  Do not be afraid of heavy weight!  Good form is a must--you have to work the whole arm--shoulders, biceps and triceps.  There are tons of exercises you can find on the Internet.

Kim S.
on 5/8/11 11:18 pm
Topic: RE: ART question
What is ART?

Kim S.
on 5/8/11 11:17 pm
Topic: RE: Anyone suffer knee problems?
Hmmm....don't have that issue but deal with arthritis in both my knees.....I'm a runner too--I had to ease into it and still only run a mile at a time (I interval run mixing high intensity bursts, jogging and speed walking).  This mixture allows me to run but doesn't tear up the knees.

Please check with your ortho before getting too into the running just to get his/her advice on how to minimize your risk of injury.  Is there a brace or stabilizer that will help?  (they don't do a thing for arthritis..........)

Kim S.
on 5/8/11 11:13 pm
Topic: RE: Monday workouts
tonight is P90X plyometrics...haven't done that one in a while and I got new cushioned gym flooring and can't wait to try it out!

Kim S.
on 5/5/11 11:41 pm
Topic: RE: Tell me...has exercise since surgery made a BIG DIFFERENCE in your weight and body image?
Girl, get your sexy on!  I'm with you--I thought I was hot before and I really like the way I look now--it is okay to be about health AND good looks!

For the mid section, you have to do core workouts--not just abs, your entire core (from the armpits to the lower hips).  Yoga is great for the core, and P90X has a really good core workout called core synergistics.  Strengthening the entire core will help, but it wont eliminate the extra skin...it will look better though.

Kim

Most Active