Jean B.’s Posts

Jean B.
on 3/4/10 12:18 am
Topic: RE: Update On Slip!
So glad to hear you kept your band, Melly. I'm going to try to use your wake-up call for myself - I get a little careless sometimes and I really don't want to lose my band - EVER!!!! Enjoy those liquids!
Jean B.

267/237/171/149      1st nurse's visit/surgery/current/goal
down 66 lbs. since surgery; 96 lbs. total

Jean B.
on 2/25/10 6:19 am
Topic: RE: Very Freaked Out
I so hope all goes well with your surgery. I know about the weight gain without the help of my band - I was unfilled for almost 4 months last winter due to a leak in the tubing and gained about 20 pounds, which I'm still trying to get rid of. The heartache of divorice is horrible. For your son, fill out your FAFSA forms and let him get a loan and hopefully some grants. As a single mom I can't help my kids with college at all, but they are going to school. It's not going to hurt them to have a loan when they get out.
Good luck. Sending lots of prayers and warm wishes your way.
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 2/25/10 12:25 am
Topic: RE: Is my band still in there?
Amy,
It is weird and unsettling when something like that happens. First of all, I never go by how it feels for just one day, but if it continues for a few days, I'd say to check with your doc. For me, one morning I ate my bowl of oatmeal in less than 5 minutes and that was so unusual. I kept trying to find something that would make me feel even a little tight, but my band was wide open. It turned out that I had a leak in the tubing - easy enough fix, but it was a good 4 months before I had good restriction again and boy, did the bad habits creep back in. Still trying, 1-1/2 years later, to lose the pounds I gained during that time. Hope it all turns out ok.
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 2/12/10 1:00 am
Topic: RE: It's been a while... here they are!
luv ya girlfriend! You are so amazing - and an inspirtation to me!
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 2/3/10 12:15 am
Topic: RE: Saw WLS therapist
Oh wow!!! That's me - oppositional and compulsive. And I hate being told what to do! Hmmmmmm......you've given me something to think about here. Please keep sharing!
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 12/29/09 6:07 am
Topic: RE: I'm feeling kinda low (whine)
Hi Karen,
I had Dr. Jeff too - 10-23-06 is my surgery date. I live in Shoreview and work in St. Anthony so I know what the weather and roads were like Christmas Eve. Sorry to hear you had an accident that night! Do you know about our support groups and coffee meetings? We just had the Unity support meeting last night (every 2nd and 4th Monday of the month). There's also a group of us that meet every Sunday night at Starbucks on Foley Blvd and Hwy 10 in Coon Rapids. We meet at 6:30 and usually go until around 9:00 or so. It's a great place to just talk and get support (band related, or not). Would you be interested in coming sometime? Let me know. I'd be happy to remind you. I don't think I'd be hanging in there as well as I am, without support.
Stay Warm!!!
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 12/18/09 1:08 am
Topic: RE: wierd conversation with doc.
It might be the older 10 cm band that holds 4 cc's. It doesn't matter how much you have in your band as long as it's providing restriction for you. I have several friends with that band who have right around 2 cc's in their bands.
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 6/16/09 2:06 am
Topic: RE: Band Leakage
I had a leak last winter. My surgeon thought it was the port, but it was actually in the tubing about 10 cm's from the port. He was able to cut out the bad section of tubing and hook it to the port - he did replace the port at the same time, but I still have enough "padding" through my mid-section, that he did not put in a low profile port. It was an out-patient surgery, and I actually did go to work the next day (desk job) for part of the day. Couldn't exercise for a few weeks though. I did gain some weight - when I realized something was wrong, I ate anything and everything to see if I could still feel my band. It took a couple of weeks to get the surgery scheduled and then he only put 2cc's in the band which was in no way enough. So, I was without good restriction for about 2 months and did gain about 10 lbs. that I'm still working to get off. The band is working great. My head got off course during that time though and I'm having a hard time getting back to good eating habits. I'm maintaining though.
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 5/15/09 5:25 am
Topic: RE: Port Leak
I had a leak in January. My surgeon thought it was probably at the port, but when he got in there, he discovered it was actually in the tubing about 10 cm's from the port. He thinks maybe there was a kink in the tubing or maybe the tubing rubbed against a rib. Anyway, it was a simple out-patient surgery and I went back to work the next day. And now everything is just as it was. Expensive though - glad it was covered by insurance. By the way, there is no warranty on the band according to Allergan.
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 5/6/09 1:49 am
Topic: RE: NOT A GOOD DAY!
Come to coffee Sunday evening at Starbucks on Foley Blvd, just south of Hwy 10. We'll help talk you through this and be there for you. It really does help to get together with others!
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 4/29/09 12:33 am
Topic: RE: Yippy! Fill for me!
Hey Elena,
Glad to hear your "begging" worked! Hope the fill helps you out. Let us know.
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 4/29/09 12:26 am
Topic: RE: complete new band
I'd be curious to know if you or your doc hear anything back from the band company. I, too, had a leak in the tubing this past January. It was about 10 cm's from the port and my surgeon was able to replace the port, cut out the bad section of tubing and reattach it, so I didn't get a new band. Hope all goes well with your new band.
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 4/21/09 4:52 am
Topic: RE: Not just a swing?
That is beautiful!!
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 4/8/09 2:01 am
Topic: RE: What does a slip or erosion feel like?
Another possibility is a leak in the tubing - it happened to me this past January. I suddenly lost all sense of restriction and when my surgeon went in to replace the port, he actually found a leak in the tubing about 10 cm's from the port. He replaced the port anyway and was able to cut out the bad spot in the tubing and hook it up to the new port. A simple, one-day surgery. So, check with your doc. Hope all works out well.
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 3/11/09 2:05 am
Topic: RE: 3 months out
You had lap band surgery. The expectation is to lose 1-2 pounds a week, and some weeks/months will be better than others. This is a life-long change you have committed to following. It will happen. You are doing great - do not beat yourself up!
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 1/26/09 4:06 am
Topic: RE: PATIENCE PAYS OFF!!!!!!!!!!
Wow Elena - didn't I just say last night to hang in there and you would break that plateau? That's great. Hope to see you at coffee again soon.
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 10/7/08 2:44 am
Topic: RE: I guess I look different now
WOW!!!! Good for you - and thanks for sharing.
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 9/29/08 5:03 am
Topic: RE: I'm real and not the only one.
Nancee,
You're off in dream land now, but I'll just add that you are part of what makes our group so great. You have done well and you're a "hoot" besides!
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 8/21/08 6:55 am
Topic: RE: No reply necessary
Perfectly normal! It would be more odd for you to not have some of these feelings. Where are you having your surgery done? There is a lap band support group through Unity Hospital in Fridley and we have a coffee group, but that's kind of far for you to come - you'd be more than welcome though, so let me know. It's a great idea to go to support groups before surgery to talk to people who have been there, done that. I know there are groups at Abbott, PNC, and St. Joe's too. We are lucky to have so many options here. Good luck with everything. You are doing a wonderful thing for yourself! Jean B.

Jean B.
on 6/18/08 6:46 am
Topic: RE: Feeling a bit too tight, feel like the food is right up in your throat?
I dare you Joanie!!!! For sure, he'd blush!
Jean B.

Jean B.
on 5/30/08 2:55 am
Topic: RE: Recent Comparrison Pics (Taken Today)
Wow! Check out thos collarbones girl!!! You have done an amazing job and look great. What an inspiration. Jean B.

Jean B.
on 4/21/08 6:20 am
Topic: RE: Band Removed - No longer a bandster
Oh, Jennifer, I'm so sad to hear that they had to remove your band. I worry what would happen if I ever lose mine! Good luck with whichever next road you choose. Who does the sleeve here in the Cities? Jean B.

Jean B.
on 4/11/08 5:10 am
Topic: RE: Does everyone have to pay for fills????????
I pay $153.00 for each fill. I have a very high deductible insurance. If I meet the deductible, the fills are covered 100%. However, I'm very healthy, so I pay for my fills. I know it has kept me from going as often as I should have. Jean B.

Jean B.
on 3/26/08 5:54 am
Topic: RE: Never give up!
That's fabulous Cristie! And....that's why I got the band. It's so nice to know that it's still there when we're ready to use it. Jean B.

Jean B.
on 2/27/08 12:15 am
Topic: RE: Need some encouragement here!
Joanie! Take a a deep breath - and do your relaxing thingie again if you need to. It's going to be fine! Big hugs to you. Let us know how it goes! Jean B.

Most Active